It seems I spoke too soon on my last blog post. Early this morning around 1 a.m. Jody began coughing up blood again. It was a little disheartening since we thought that that was behind us, and something we wouldn’t have to worry about anymore. After the embolization the CF doctor told us that most patients have a 20% chance of re-bleeding, but in Jody’s case, because of how aggressive they were, he only gave him a 10% chance. We joke that naturally Jody would fall into that 10% category. This episode might have been precipitated by all the activity yesterday (nebulizers, chest PT, and the laps around the unit). Maybe it was too much, too soon. Since this bleeding, all of that has stopped and Jody remains in the step-down ICU. They really prefer not to repeat the embolization because of how much was already done, and how much it took out of Jody.
So where do we go from here? They are considering putting him on medication to thicken his blood. This decision is complicated by his history of blood clots in the lungs for which the treatment is blood thinners (which obviously he can’t be on right now). Nothing has been started yet, I think they are waiting to see if he has any more bleeding. And of course, there is the possibility of another embolization should the bleeding continue. I hope that everything Jody went through, that horrible pain, was not in vain, and that the bleeding will stop permanently.
At this point we have no idea how long Jody will be here. They will “rest” him for a few days (to minimize coughing which causes bleeding), and then will slowly resume those treatments to see how they are tolerated. Only time will tell.