A Step Back

19 Mar

It seems I spoke too soon on my last blog post.  Early this morning around 1 a.m. Jody began coughing up blood again.  It was a little disheartening since we thought that that was behind us, and something we wouldn’t have to worry about anymore.  After the embolization the CF doctor told us that most patients have a 20% chance of re-bleeding, but in Jody’s case, because of how aggressive they were, he only gave him a 10% chance.  We joke that naturally Jody would fall into that 10% category.  This episode might have been precipitated by all the activity yesterday (nebulizers, chest PT, and the laps around the unit).  Maybe it was too much, too soon.  Since this bleeding, all of that has stopped and Jody remains in the step-down ICU.  They really prefer not to repeat the embolization because of how much was already done, and how much it took out of Jody.

So where do we go from here?  They are considering putting him on medication to thicken his blood.  This decision is complicated by his history of blood clots in the lungs for which the treatment is blood thinners (which obviously he can’t be on right now).  Nothing has been started yet, I think they are waiting to see if he has any more bleeding.  And of course, there is the possibility of another embolization should the bleeding continue.  I hope that everything Jody went through, that horrible pain, was not in vain, and that the bleeding will stop permanently.

At this point we have no idea how long Jody will be here.  They will “rest” him for a few days (to minimize coughing which causes bleeding), and then will slowly resume those treatments to see how they are tolerated.  Only time will tell.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “A Step Back”

1. Ruthie March 19, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

So incredibly sad to hear the latest! Our prayers continue! We love you all so much! Thank you for keeping us updated.

2. Patti March 19, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Our prayers as well, from all your Hershey friends.

3. Karen March 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Oh Tiff. I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m glad for the updates though so we know how to pray.

4. stacey March 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

Oh tiffy. Thank u for the updates. We r praying for your family and for Jody especially. U are often on my mind. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help u out.

• CF Wife March 20, 2013 at 11:36 am #

I haven’t been called “Tiffy” in years. Made me laugh-thanks for that and your prayers.

5. Sheryl March 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Jody, you are going the wrong way…… Turn around!!

6. Pat Lohr March 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm #

Hi Tiffany, It’s Pat from the Israel trip group. I want you and Jody to know that the prayers are still continuing for you both. I rejoice with you in the triumphs and help to carry your sadness when things aren’t moving quickly enough and in the right direction. You and you family have prayer warriors at work on your behalf.

• CF Wife March 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Thank you Pat, it means a lot.

7. Marilyn Titter March 20, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Two steps forward one step back. You remain in my prayers. Tiff call me if you need to talk. Jody try to be patient. 🙂